MAURICE L. COLLISON (1887–1981)
Maurice L. Collison was born on October 19, 1887, in Carroll County, Iowa. He was the son of Joseph Collison, a Catholic farmer and native of Leeds, England, and Ann Wolfe Collison, a native of County Kerry, Ireland. He had eight siblings: William (b. 1875), John R. (b. 1877), Joseph B. (b. 1878), Daniel A. (b. 1880), Frederick Paul (b. 1882), Mary (b. 1885), his twin, Frank L., and Arthur (b 1890).
Mort Collison was educated in the public schools. On June 12, 1923, he married Florence Ryant of Carroll, in Carroll. They had five children: Margaret Mary, Marilyn, Carol, Art, and Pheanis. Before their marriage, Ryant had taught school, worked in the U.S. Department of the Treasury, and, for two years from 1917 to 1918, served as deputy county treasurer.
Collison farmed until 1928, when, according to his obituary, he opened a hog-buying station, which he operated until his retirement in 1957. His business was both domestic and foreign. In 1938 and 1939 he served as a member of the Carroll city council, representing the second ward. His wife sat on the board of the Carroll Public Schools for three years, serving as president for at least part of that time.
Collison died at Baptist Hospital in Phoenix, Arizona, on February 5, 1981, while wintering with his wife in the state. His wife, Florence, died on December 24, 1986, also in Phoenix. They are buried together at Mount Olivet Cemetery in Carroll, Iowa.